Tesla Spoils the Party Edition
11.818 plug-ins were sold in the US last month, which is just below the 11.893 record set last June, and Tesla is to blame for the miss, as it had just sold some 600 units, when in the same month last year it had sold 1.300!
If it weren't Tesla, we could now be talking of a 12.600 record...Something tells me that in October the US market will reach a sky high record of 13-14.000 units! In one month!
The rest of the competition won several personal best records:
- Nissan LEAF – 3,186 (3,117 – May 2014, Sales Record for any BEV)
- BMW i3 – 1,025 (363 – July 2014)
- Ford Focus Electric – 264 (198 – July 2014)
- Cadillac ELR – 196 (188 – July 2014)
- Mercedes-Benz B-Class ED – 51 (4 – July 2014)
Besides these records several models established Year Highs:
- Chevrolet Volt – 2,511 (2,020 – July)
- Ford C-Max Energi – 1,050 (988 – June)
- Toyota RAV4 EV – 228 (149 – May)
- Honda Fit EV – 55 (50 – April)
The biggest surprise was the BMW i3 joining the 4-digit-sales-club, selling in just one market what it didn't sell worldwide just four months ago...
Ford Fusion Energi
|4||Ford C-Max Energi||1.050|
This prowess allowed the bavarian hatch to climb 3 spots to #7.
Several changes in the YTD ranking, besides the i3 jump, the Fusion Energi (1.226 units sold), passed Tesla (Only 600 units) and it's now closer (#4) to the podium.
A bit further to the top, the runnout mode Chevy Volt is back to #2, profiting from a weak performance from the the Prius Plug-in (only 818 units)
At the bottom of the ranking we see two celebrated newcomers, the Porsche 918 and BMW i8 started their careers in the States, where they should be in the future a (relatively) common sight.
|3||Toyota Prius Plug-In||818||11.489||15|
|4||Ford Fusion Energi||1.222||8.683||11|
|5||Tesla Model S e)||600||8.500||11|
|6||Ford C-Max Energi||1.050||5.809||8|
|8||Smart Fortwo ED||208||1.598||2|
|9||Ford Focus Electric||264||1.358||2|
|11||Chevrolet Spark EV||80||844||1|
|Toyota RAV4 EV|
Porsche Panamera PHEV
Honda Fit EV
|Honda Accord Plug-In|
Mercedes B-Class ED
Source: insideevs.com; Good Car Bad Car
Please update Canada and the Netherlands in August, and Denmark in July.ReplyDelete
Since Tesla is focusing it's efforts on growing the China market, and many US customers are waiting for the Model X, don't count on Tesla to have huge sales in the US the following months until Model X production is up to speedReplyDelete
IMHO December has a far better chance of beating the record than October, for tax reasons that month has traditionally seen strong sales, and with more high-end offerings in the market there should be more of that.
As to the record itself, 2 corrections:
1. The all-time record is not June, but May with 12053 sales. http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/
2. The "culprit" for August missing the record (last year's August had held the previous record till May broke it), is less Tesla - as Surya points out they've been diverting sales abroad all year - and more the Plug-in Prius whose sales dipped to 818 this month, far less than earlier in the summer. The PiP fluctuates wildly; is it fleet deals? Or just poor tracking by Toyota? Anyway, few tears shed, as this is the shortest-range plug-in. August can claim a "moral victory" over May and June, having sold more "substantial" EVs :)
Any news on China sales?ReplyDelete
Only for the third week of each month...Delete
Jose - where/when do you get news on Tesla's China sales? ThanksDelete
I'm counting on having the chinese sales later this week, and hoping to have the numbers for Tesla and Kandi by then, these two are always harder to get.Delete
Are you interested in figures for Romania for 2013 ? I see you do not have a category for Romania. The link is from Inside EVs, It looks like it's sales for the entire year.ReplyDelete
I think to have already written about Romania, but i will check it.Delete
Indeed i did, here is the link: http://ev-sales.blogspot.pt/2014/01/markets-roundup-december-2013-special.html.Delete
I have also updated the categories, including, Romania, Bulgaria and Morocco.