Monday, August 20, 2018

Germany July 2018

Resultado de imagem para Taycan
 Porsche Taycan: Will it be as good as we imagine?

BMW and Porsche shine, Tesla sinks 

The German PEV passenger car market grew 31 in July, to 5,617 registrations, with BEVs growing faster (+39%) than PHEVs (28%). In 2018, all-electrics are reaching 1% share, while plug-in hybrids grew their share to 1%, making a total PEV share of 2%.

But the most interesting story on the fuels mix is the steady drop of diesel vehicle sales, with another 11% drop in July, with diesel now only representing 32% of the market..At this pace, Diesel sales could be tot in this market by 2022-23...

Looking at July Best Sellers, BMW had another win, this time thanks to the 225xe Active Tourer, that with 594 deliveries, scored its second record performance in a row. Who said family-friendly MPVs weren't hip anymore?

The Kia Soul EV and the Smart Fortwo ED returned to the Top 5, but the most surprising news of July regarded the first full deliveries month of the new Porsche Cayenne PHEV, that with 227 deliveries, it was #9 last month, becoming immediately the Best Selling Luxury PEV on the market, with the Second Best in the class being the Porsche Panamera PHEV, with 194 deliveries. These are all good signs for the upcoming Taycan BEV, so if i were Porsche, i would start right away thinking in ways to scale up the Taycan production, if they want to avoid a Herstellung Hölle...

BMW 225xe A. Tourer
Kia Soul EV
BMW i3
Smart Fortwo ED
Renault Zoe

Over the years, the German PEV market became known for its constant changes, but it seems July took a break from that, with few changes in the Top 20, the main news were both the BMW 225xe Active Tourer and VW Golf GTE jumping three positions, to #6 and #7, respectively, with the BMW MPV now becoming the Best Selling PHEV.

The other change happened in #15, with the Mercedes GLC350e surpassing the Tesla Model S

Speaking of Tesla, the Model S had its lowest result (51 deliveries) since January, which could mean that the Model 3 (Taycan too?) long shadow is starting to be felt on this market.

As for the #12 Porsche Panamera PHEV, the Sports Sedan had its best result in over a year, with 194 deliveries, which together with the positive landing of the new Cayenne PHEV (227 units), could mean that Porsche has finally solved the batteries constraint problem. (Well, it would have to do it sooner or later, as the Taycan will be a battery hungry beast…) 

Germany was always going be a tough market to crack for Tesla (A bit like the BMW i3 in the US - "Small luxury car?!?! Is that even a thing?!?!"), but the moment of truth is nearing, as German BEVs are getting closer to production, it will be interesting to see the impact they will make on the Model S and especially on the Model X sales. 

One can say that the Model S will the be most pressured, because besides the foreign competition, it will have to resist the vacum cleaner effect of its Model 3 smaller sibling. 

In July, the Model S deliveries (51) were down 50% YoY, while the Model X (44) was down 43%...Which says a lot, doesn't it?     

In the brands ranking, we have a new leader, with BMW (17%, up 1%) surpassing Volkswagen (16%, down 1%) while the #3 Smart (11%, down 1%) is watching the new Fourth Placed Kia (10%) getting closer. 



  1. The Hyundai Kona EV will be more popular than the Renault Zoe (in Germany).

    1. The Kona EV and Niro EV will be immensely popular in many markets, but for that to be translated into sales, Hyundai-Kia needs to make them in large volumes, and cut waiting lists into something more palatable, like 4-months.