I. Big Markets
Let's see how the Big EV Markets fared in 2018:
* BAIC EC-Series #1 - Once again the winner, but in 2019 it will have more competition;
* 1.1 million units - At some point i started to expect 1 million units, and as the year came to an end, not only it got there, but actually surpassed it!. And the Market Share reached 4.2%, a bit more than the 2%-something of the USA or Europe.
* Tesla Model 3 #1 - First win for the Californian, the first of a couple wins that the nameplate will have until the Model Y lands;
* 350.000 sales - Strong second half of the year, leading to a 2.1% share.
* Nissan Leaf #1 - The Japanese hatchback won its first title since 2013, but it shouldn't repeat the feat in 2019, as that trophy should go for the Tesla Model 3;
* 386.000 units - Sales continue to grow steadily, with the PEV share reaching 2.5%, with plug-in hybrids losing importance, with BEV's now outselling PHEV's.
* Nissan Leaf #1 - Despite lack of real competition, the Nissan hatch did its part and won another title;
* 52.000 units - What can i say, sales have dropped 7% and the PEV share has dropped to 1%. Big disappointment.
* Tesla Model 3 #1 - The new darling in Canada. How could it be otherwise?
* 43.000 units - Strong, steady growth, with the market share ending at a record 2.2%.
* Hyundai Kona EV #1 - Veni, vidi, vici. In only 8 months in the market, the Hyundai model surpassed everyone else, scoring even a new all-time record (11.000 units). The Kona EV is the EV Disruptor in Korea.
* 31.000 sales - A hot market, with doubling sales, and the market share now reaching 1.7%. How high will it reach in 2019? 3%? 4%? 5%?
III. Other markets
A few words on smaller markets:
New Zealand - Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV turf, PEV share above 1% (1.4%);
Israel - Mercedes GLC350e was #1, market has beaten all records in 2018 and reached 1.4% share. Too many PHEVs, though;
Malaysia - BMW is king here, market is stable at around 1.2% share;
Australia - Slow growth, with the Tesla Model S winning the Best Seller title;
Brazil - Symbolic sales (less than 200 units) in such a large market, BYD e5 was the Best Seller;
Russia - Ditto for Russia (less than 300 units), Nissan Leaf stole the 2018 title from Tesla;
Mexico - Nissan Leaf wins again, in a falling market;
UAE - Tesla turf;
South Africa - BMW are the only ones doing something here;
Colombia - Fast growth is starting to move the needle (0.3% share), Renault Twizy is a popular choice, same as the BMW i3;
Taiwan - Stagnating market (less than 200 units), this time the local Luxgen LCS EV won #1;
India - Considering the size of the market, the 2.000 units registered could be considered symbolic. Tata and Mahindra are the only ones on the market, with compliance vehicles;
Thailand - Less than 1.000 units, the 2018 trophy was still for BMW, but Hyundai should steal the 2019 title.